Hail doesn’t necessarily last long, but it usually causes major damage to your home. Hail is a prevalent issue in Calgary each year, which makes up a good chunk of our single family clients every year. It is estimated that roughly $1 billion dollars in damages is incurred because of hail each year in North America. It’s important to understand what you can do to help elongate the life of your roof as well as know how to save money regarding insurance.
Before a Hailstorm
Get Insured & Know Your Coverage
- Make surer you know what is covered under your deductible you’ve chosen
- Be sure that your policy covers roof repairs, roof replacements, and car repairs as well.
- You may have a higher deductible for wind and hail damage than you do for other types of claims. Talk to your to find out more.
Do annual inspections of your roof. If an already damaged roof goes through a severe hail storm, theres no telling the damage it could cause. You will limit the damage if you have a healthy roof going into the storm.
- Repair or replace worn, curled or missing shingles.
- If your roof is aging, consider replacing it before hail season begins.
During a Hailstorm
Protect Yourself and Your Car
In severe storms, a hail stone can be as big as a golfball and fall at an incredible speed that can put you and your family in danger.
- Make sure you and your family stay indoors.
- Make sure you and your family stay away from skylights and glass doors to avoid broken glass.
- If it is possible for you and the family to close drapes, blinds or shades to prevent debris from blowing inside.
- If it is possible for you and the family to park your car in the garage or other covered area.
After a Hailstorm
Hail damage? Call 1-403-457-3330 to get the damage assessed.