Your fence is an important part of your garden and your property; it can add style, privacy and elegance if it’s well looked after, whereas a tired or dilapidated fence makes your home look uninviting and unloved.
Keeping up with the maintenance of your wooden fencingis important as, if you don’t, you could face the cost of replacing it. It also looks bad if you decide to sell your home and is such a small task to take on with huge results.
With our top 5 tips, you can tackle your wooden fence with confidence and bring it back to life.
- Have the right equipment ready! It’s always good to make things easy and have your equipment ready to go so you aren’t running around the city. This will cause less stress further down the line as you won’t have to stop halfway through to find a piece of equipment you need. The main things you need for cleaning your fence are: Power washer, wood stain, brushes, bleach, protective covering
- Protect your greens! It is important to protect your grass and lawn! Those two are time oncoming to replace. For most effective results you should lay down plastic sheets. Move any damageable plant pots or garden furniture out of the way before you start!
- Bleach first, then power wash! Home Hardware stocks an excellent wood cleaning solution you can use to put on your fence, you can also use water down bleach. Measurement: bleach for every 2 parts of water. Put this solution on your fence and let it set for a few hours. Once you start to notice it taking away any mildew and dirt you can use a power washer to remove the bleach or wood cleaner.
- Don’t forget to let the wood dry out! VERY IMPORTANT! The wood needs to dry before the sealant is applied. It should be soaked at this point, you’ll have to let the wood dry before you can put a seal on it. Ensure that you don’t paint your wood – wood stain comes in a range of colours and is used to protect your wood, and if you simply paint the wood you aren’t protecting it as well as you could.
- Rins, repeat! The consistency and frequency is up to you. Most people like to do it every couple of years. In truth, it will be up to you to keep an eye on how your fences look – if they are exposed to water and sunshine like here in Calgary, they will fade quicker and gather more green stains.
Thank you for reading!