Maintaining the quality of your roof is one of the most important tasks as a homeowner. It is easy to overlook the maintenance of this part of your home as it is usually out of sight, meaning out of mind. A common misconception home owners have is that they think they will easily be able to spot a problem with their roof. The truth is that even some experts, the professionals that spend their working lives on a roof, might even miss potential problems or have a difficult time locating the source of the roof issue. Therefore it is very important that roof issues be addressed by a skilled professional that has had years of experience to better understand what it is they are looking for when dealing with roof damage.
The key is detecting these problems early, and being able to save the structural integrity of the roof as soon as possible.
Some of the most common roofing problems include but are not limited to:
- Lack of Maintenance– Ideally, you should schedule an annual inspection of your roofing. You should also plan on having a professional inspection following any severe storm events. Over time there are many things that go wrong with your roof and you need to be on top of taking care of it on a regular basis. Mildew, sagging or holes are usually clear indicators of a roof that has been neglected.
- Improper Repairs– This is one of the worst offenses because it means the homeowner actually hired someone to get the job done. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to prevent it except make sure whoever you hire is reputable.
- Storm Related Damage– Any season of the year can cause storm related damage. Hail, rain, heavy winds, lightning or even broken branches can all cause major roofing damage. Make sure following any weather related events you have your roof inspected for possible damages. The window for filing an insurance claim is not very big and you do not want to end up paying for these damages out of your own pocket.
- Roof Leaks– No matter what type of roof you have, if a leak develops you have a problem. Your roofing is meant to act like a lid on a container. The purpose of this lid is to keep everything inside dry. Once a leak compromises that all you can hope to do is fix it in time to minimize the damage. There are any number of reasons that leaks can occur; the concern is detecting them in time and carrying out repairs and clean up in time.
- Moisture– Built up moisture will cause problems especially if left to fester over time. Moisture will lead to mold and mildew and all of this will begin to cause rot. The worst part is that it can develop into a deeper problem if it begins to also get into the walls and pose a threat to the structure of the house.
- Poor Installation– Many roofing contractors may just see the opportunity to make some quick money. Or, even worse, someone who is not qualified at all to take on this type of work may take on the job. It can take years to detect a problem, but once it begins to cause issues it is generally too late for a quick fix. At the very least you will probably need to completely replace the roof.
One of the best ways to prevent avoidable problems with your roofing is to only work with reputable companies. Make sure they are licensed and insured and check their rating with the Better Business Bureau. If at all possible also ask for references so you can speak to someone who used this roofing company before.
Whenever possible hire someone who has already worked with a friend, neighbor or co-worker. If they come highly recommended then you are less likely to have a problem. Just make sure to still follow up by checking to make sure they are licensed, insured and in good standing with the BBB.